Monday, November 8, 2010

Thanksgiving casserole

Like a lot of folks, my favorite time of the year is the holiday season. And what better season for food than Thanksgiving!

For years my favorite side dish has always been Broccoli and Rice casserole. I've had many variations on this, most are fine, a few a bit off, but the original I've had (of course, the best) was taught to me by my mother and I've cooked it exactly the same over the years. I've tried variations, and this is one of the few recipe that is best in it's final form. It gets rave reviews across the board, so if you're looking for something to try, you can't go wrong with this. I like to make this a few times a year, so it's not just for the holidays. 

First, I chop half of a medium onion into a dice. Then... oh my, is that picture correct? Is that... Cheeze Whiz? Indeed, it is. Some butter? Oh man, you're singin my tune, and is that.... oh my! Cream of Mushroom soup? Is it that versatile? Answer: yes.



Ok, once you've realized what you're prepping for (oh my I almost forgot the Brocolli!) it's time... to start your engines! I melt the butter on medium heat, add onion and sweat. This will take about 3 minutes total, I'm not looking for browning. Browning in this recipe isn't desired, just cook the onion till it's semi-see-through. 



Now, from there I add about 3 cups of white rice (this makes a lot by the way) to the onion mix. I stir it around for a few turns, then add the 'Whiz, and Mushroom soup. Mix in for a few turns until the rice, 'Whiz and Mushroom soup is worked together.




Then I add in about a quart of milk, and 1 package of chopped Broccoli. This may seem like a lot, but that rice is thirsty, and will expand greatly. Now, make sure the heat is at medium, and stir constantly. I know you heard me but I must insist, STIR, CONSTANTLY! With this much dairy, if you leave this alone for longer than 2 minutes, the bottom WILL scorch. You DO have to baby this, but trust me, it's well worth it! Be sure to scrape along the bottom of the pan, because this dish loves to build a crust on the bottom and build a nasty scorched layer. If you have kids that are learning to cook and are reliable, have them stir it constantly. 

You may have to add more milk to the pot as it cooks slowly, this is fine as it adds to the richness of the dish. If it's not cheezy enough for you, add some Velveeta cheese, or some more Cheeze Whiz if you have some.



The dish may seem a bit loose at first when you take it off of the heat, but trust me, it will firm up after about 30 minutes away from heat. It re-heats VERY well, and is good if properly 'fridged for about a week. Long enough to enjoy with the 458 variations you need to think about for your Turkey extras! I love to eat this with some Cranberry sauce; delicious!


1/2 medium Onion chopped
1/2 stick Butter
1 pack chopped Broccoli
1 jar Cheese Whiz
1 quart Milk
1 can Cream of Mushroom Soup
3 cups white Rice

Sweat chopped Onion with 1/2 stick Butter. Mix 3 cups rice with sweat'ed Onion, add Cream of Mushroom Soup, Cheese Whiz. Mix for 30 seconds until incorporated. Add Milk. Stir CONSTANTLY. Add Milk as necessary. If extra "cheesyness" is desired, either add more Cheese Whiz, or 2oz Velveeta cheese. 






No comments:

Post a Comment