Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Scotch Eggs

I saw a video a long time ago about an interesting dish called Scotch Eggs. At first I was wondering if they meant they were poached in Scotch whiskey? It seemed odd, so I watched and it wasn't at all what I originally thought.  I made a few the other night and decided to give them a taste. They're quite good, and darned near a delicious hand held whole breakfast. I couldn't find a way to incorporate the milk into the dish, so you'll have to supply your own glass of moo juice.


First, you'll want to hard boil your egg(s) and shell them. Just place however many eggs you want to convert into a pan with water covering the eggs, and boil them for 15-20 minutes. After that, cool the eggs until they're easily handled. Shell 'em. Then you'll want to pat them over with a little bit of flour. This helps the sausage stick to them.


The sausage I decided to use was some Jimmy Dean Sage, but if you have a personal favorite, go for it! Once the eggs were patted with flour and shaken to remove any excess flour, you pull off some sausage, a little larger than the size of each egg you will be working with. Press the sausage in your palm, almost like you're making a thin hamburger patty. Place the egg in the center of your sausage patty.




Gently work the sausage up, and over the egg. You want to work slowly on this, as the egg, while hard boiled, can still split open and ruin the process. Once you've worked the sausage around the egg, it should look like this:




From there, put the ball into an egg wash (1 egg with little milk, whipped together). Once the ball is coated in the egg wash, roll in some bread crumbs. I used plain crumbs, but if you want to flavor it up a bit with some Italian crumbs, go for it.





Now I did get a little creative and added something interesting in place of crumbs for one......


MAKE IT BACON BABY!

So yeah, I wrapped my hard boiled egg wrapped in sausage, with crumbled bacon.

This looks dangerously delicious!



Normally these are fried. For me, the sausage (and the bacon one) were already screaming at my arteries. So I decided to bake them. Oven safe pan, 425F for 15 minutes.




Quite good, though I will admit I had 3 and they were tasty. I think next time I'll limit myself to one, as they are filling!



Eggs (your choice on how many to make)
Sausage
Bread Crumbs
1 Egg
1 Tbsp Milk

No comments:

Post a Comment