Friday, November 5, 2010

Marinara!


So, I've been looking for a long time for a good marinara sauce. I love the sauce that comes with the mozzarella sticks, and often I use the sticks just to get more sauce. It looks so simple, yet tastes like it was simmered all day in a vat of deliciousness. Depth, richness, and totally tomato.

So I looked up a recipe, and saw such variations that it made my mind hurt just contemplating the variances. So I gathered what I had, and I gave it the ol college try! I was missing a few of the "absolutely vital" ingredients, but I strove ahead anyways. What is exploration without a little chance right? So we strive ahead readers!

I started with about 3 Tbsp Olive Oil, and half of a diced Onion.


DICED! Your move!


I sweat the onion in the heated oil for about 2 minutes. We're not looking for carmelization, just sweating and translucence. Add some minced Garlic and let it mingle.


Onion + garlic = mingle heaven!

Once the Onion and Garlic have mingled together in the oil, it's time to bring some crushed Tomato to the party, and some SPICES!


Feel the mingling, FEEL IT!

Once the Tomato has been incorporated, turn the heat down and let it simmer. Small, slow bubbles are good, large rapid bubbles, not so much. Let everything mingle together. HEY! Consider it to be a slow dance. The Tomato has got to get to know the Onion and Garlic.




One the sauce is finished, I placed the Meatballs from the previous recipe into the Marinara sauce. Honestly, I had a picture of it, but it was so delicious that... I ate the picture too!

3 tbsp Olive Oil
1/2 medium Onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp Salt
1 Bay Leaf
1 heavy pinch black Pepper
1 can crushed Tomato
1 Roma Tomato, diced

Heat Olive Oil over medium heat, add diced Onion and Garlic. Sweat for 3 minutes. Add crushed Tomato, Bay Leaf. Add Salt and Pepper to taste. Simmer for 15 minutes.

From here you can add some Rosemary, Thyme, Basil or more Garlic. This sauce is really flexible, so put what you want in it. This is great with Meatballs, regular pasta, Mozzarella sticks, you name it!

No comments:

Post a Comment