Friday, October 8, 2010

Lasagna!

Ohhh man! One of my favorites! My mom used to cook this for us on special occasions, and we'd eat till we were about to burst! I was intimidated in making this at first due to the time commitment. Once I got used to the process it was easy.

First, some of the ingredients!












That's pretty much all the ingredients as far as spices, except for the wine. You can try just about any red, but I've found a Lambrusco to be the best. Merlot and Pino don't seem to give the depth I'm looking for. For this recipie I chose to use turkey. I'd add a little bit of oil if it's super lean, which turkey usually is. It will burn quickly if you're not diligent, so the 1tsp or so of oil will help buffer that.












After that are the noodles. I use a 9X13 pan, so it's usually 3 strips per layer. Think of how many layers you want and cook the noodles in a tall stock pot with salted water.












Next I prep the ricotta cheese. I use part skim. To me I can't tell a flavor difference. I add an egg to the ricotta and mix it together. It helps bind the cheese and sets it up better when you bake it. While melty cheese is great, runny cheese is not. if you have trouble spreading the ricotta, I recommend heating it in the microwave for 15-20 seconds (before you add the egg).












Once the meat is cooked, add the tomato sauce, paste, garlic, salt, and some wine. How much is up to you, I like to use 1/2 a cup for a single batch. Don't worry, the alcohol will steam off after a few minutes and it unlocks flavors in the garlic and tomato that can only be unleashed with the assistance of alcohol. If you're tempted, a glass for yourself wouldn't be a bad idea!

















Folks sometimes ask me about the bottom of their lasagna burning. Just spoon some of the sauce onto the clean pan BEFORE you start doing any layering. It helps the noodles not squirm around, and keeps the noodles from sticking/burning to the bottom of the pan.

Soon to be delicious!












I add a layer of noodles, then ricotta cheese, then meat. Repeat! Hey that kinda rhymed....

















Soon, you should have a multi layered beast just begging to be eaten! Don't worry, we'll bake this into even further destinations of NOMS! Make sure to cover the last layer with meat sauce completely. If any noodles are exposed without sauce on it.... well I hope you like blackened crispy noodles. Bake @ 425 for 30-45 minutes. Cheese is optional. YES OPTIONAL!

Noms! SOON YOU SHALL BE MINE!
















SWEET VICTORY!



Notes: I'd cook this for 30 minutes at the minimum, 45 at max. If you go for less the flavors won't mingle as much, and the layers will fall apart and look sloppy. You don't want all your effort to slide across the plate onto the floor! Unless you're the dog, then you might.

1 lb meat
1 tsp salt (to taste)
1 tbsp garlic powder (to taste)
1/2 cup wine
1 can tomato paste
1 can tomato sauce
9-12 lasagna noodles
1 egg
1 container ricotta cheese (if you like a lot, get a larger tub, if not, the 1 pint tub should do fine)
cheese (optional, if you want it use mozzarella)

Brown meat. Add tomato sauce, paste, garlic powder, wine. Simmer for 10-20 minutes.
Boil lasagna noodles until tender (10-15 minutes)
Mix ricotta and egg together.

Layer the noodles, ricotta, and meat in thin layers. This should fit perfectly in a 9X13 pan. If you're cooking for more than 4, consider either a second pan, or a slightly larger one and measure your noodles accordingly.

Bake @ 425F for 30 minutes. If you're adding cheese, add it on in the last 5 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly, and hopefully slightly browned in places. Let the dish cool for at least 5 minutes before serving, as this is like molten lava if you try to eat it immediately. Enjoy!

1 comment: