Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Cooking thoughts

Just an informative post, hopefully to motivate readers to start cooking, or expand your cooking realm. While I've not been professionally trained to cook, it follows in my heritage. Actually, it follows in everyones heritage. Cooking was an absolute necessity in every walk of life up to, and current in the world. While it may not have been fancy, your ancestors cooked, you've cooked. And why shouldn't you cook? You know what goes into what you're making. You put the parts together, you're feeding yourself and potentially your family. Why not cook?



People ask me all the time, where did I learn to cook? While the passion was always with me, I was never formally trained. I had the chance to go to professional cooking schools, which I hope to find the time to attend in the future. But my recipes and ability came from one simple thing: trial and error. I read a recipe, and I attempted it. The first trials weren't pretty, but I strived to make better food.




I look at recipies as merely basic templates. Some people consider family recipies to be the end-all-be-all of recipies. While that recipie may have been perfected over generations, how did they get to that point? It wasn't just attempted one day and amazingly good. It was made, and re-made with different variations over the years. What's stopping you from trying different ideas? That's what your mother and grandmother did most likely. I love to take recipies and tinker with them. It makes for astounding differences, and each persons tastes vary. So experiment! Have fun!

My solid advice is: start with good ingredients, have an open mind, and if all else fails, try, try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment